Scale out with Ubuntu Server
Ubuntu Server brings economic and technical scalability to your datacentre, public or private. Whether you want to deploy an OpenStack cloud, a Kubernetes cluster or a 50,000-node render farm, Ubuntu Server delivers the best value scale-out performance available.
What’s new in 18.04 LTS
- Supported by Canonical until 2023 with ESM coverage until 2028
- Runs on all major architectures – x86, x86-64, ARM v7, ARM64, POWER8 and IBM s390x (LinuxONE)
- New ubuntu-minimal images that are smaller and boot faster
- Easily configure networking through netplan
- Fast and accurate time synchronization with chrony
- A new, default server installer ISO with a new interface and faster install
- Supports ZFS, the next-generation volume management/ file system ideal for servers and containers
- LXD 3.0 - Linux containers including clustering, QoS, and resource controls (CPU, memory, block I/O, graphics, and storage quota)
- Install snaps for simple application installation and release management
- Linux 4.15 kernel
- Certification as a guest on AWS, Microsoft Azure, Joyent, IBM, Google Cloud Platform and Rackspace
- Updates to LXD (v3.0), DPDK (v17.11.1), Postgresql (v10.3), Libvirt (v4.0), NGINX (v1.14), Qemu (v2.11.1), Docker (v17.03), Puppet (v4.10), MySQL (v5.7), PHP (v7.2), and more
What’s new in 19.10
- Supported by Canonical for 9 months
- Linux 5.3 kernel
- Updates to qemu (v4.0), libvirt (v5.4), mysql (v8.0), postgresql (v11) and more
- Fresh set of fixes and refreshes to the Ubuntu Server installer
- New Ubuntu Advantage experience
Performance and versatility
Agile, secure, deploy-anywhere technology for fast-moving companies
It doesn’t matter whether you want to deploy a NoSQL database, web farm or cloud. Certified by leading hardware OEMs and with comprehensive deployment tools, so you can get the most from your infrastructure.
Our regular release cycle means access to the latest and most performant open source. A lean initial installation and integrated deployment and application modeling technologies make Ubuntu Server a great solution for simple deployment and management at scale.
A release schedule you can depend on
Stay up-to-date with regular updates and upgrades
Long-term support (LTS) releases of Ubuntu Server receive security updates by Canonical for five years by default. Every six months, interim releases bring new features, while hardware enablement updates add support for the latest machines to all supported LTS releases. All Ubuntu Advantage for Infrastructure subscriptions include Extended Security Maintenance (ESM) increasing the support life-cycle to up to 10 years.
|Released||End of Life||Extended security maintenance|
|Ubuntu 22.04 LTS||April 2022||April 2027|
|Ubuntu 21.10||October 2021||July 2022|
|Ubuntu 21.04||April 2021||January 2022|
|Ubuntu 20.10||October 2020||July 2021|
|Ubuntu 20.04 LTS||April 2020||April 2025||April 2030|
|Ubuntu 19.10||October 2019||July 2020|
|Ubuntu 19.04||April 2019||January 2020|
|Ubuntu 18.10||October 2018||July 2019|
|Ubuntu 18.04 LTS||April 2018||April 2023||April 2028|
|Ubuntu 16.04 LTS||April 2016||April 2021||April 2024|
|Ubuntu 14.04 LTS||April 2014||April 2019||April 2022|
|Ubuntu 12.04 LTS||April 2012||April 2017||April 2019|
|Ubuntu 10.04 LTS||April 2010||April 2015|
Ubuntu Advantage for your Infrastructure
Ubuntu Advantage for infrastructure offers a single, per-node packaging of the most comprehensive software, security and IaaS support in the industry. With OpenStack and Kubernetes support included, Ubuntu Advantage for Infrastructure provides everything you need to future-proof your data centre.
UA for Infrastructure, Advanced includes Server, OpenStack and Kubernetes support and is available at Standard (24x5) and Advanced (24x7) response times.
Get in touch
Speak to our technical support team about your support requirements.
A thriving community
Exchange expertise and ideas with thousands of other IT professionals
Want to talk to other Ubuntu users straightaway? Share ideas and get advice and help from our large, active community of IT professionals. As a community, we set high standards for friendliness and tolerance, we welcome your questions and contributions!