What is Ceph?
Ceph is a storage solution designed to address the object, block, and file storage needs of data centres adopting open source as the new norm for high-growth block storage, object stores and data lakes. Ceph provides enterprise scalable storage while keeping CAPEX and OPEX costs in line with the underlying bulk commodity disk prices.
Benefits of Ceph
Designed from the ground up for petabyte-scale deployments, Canonical’s software-defined storage solutions include all-open-source components with highly automated operations to drive down the cost of ownership. We specifically offer pricing models that match either your CAPEX budget or consumption-oriented pay-for-what-you-use engagements that mirror public cloud pricing models at on-prem costs.
In the early days of Ceph, Yahoo! Japan searched for a local company who could support them in the implementation of an open-source distributed storage solution from the Linux operating system all the way to Ceph. Canonical provided not only Ceph but also the tooling and expertise that reduced the OPEX associated with managing a large storage cluster.Find out more about Yahoo! Japan’s Ceph cluster ›
The Wellcome Sanger Institute initially opted for self-maintained Ceph storage, but as their capacity needs grew from 3 PB to over 20 PB, they turned to Canonical to resolve their scaling issues. With the help of Canonical support, the Institute’s latest Ceph rollout decreased from a month to just four days.Find out about Wellcome Sanger’s path to a cost-effective Ceph infrastructure ›
Ceph is better on Ubuntu
Whether you choose to use your own operational framework or leverage the advantages of Charmed Ceph, the choice is yours. Each Ubuntu LTS release ships a version of Ceph that is supported for up to 10 years. Newer releases of Ceph can be installed from the Ubuntu Cloud Archive allowing flexibility for selecting the right version of Ceph for your environment. To maximise Ceph upgrade flexibility for customers, Ceph versions are regularly released and maintained via the Ubuntu updates and security repositories, as well as the Ubuntu Cloud Archive. This leads to predictability and a flexible mix between remaining at the forefront of innovation and long-term support predictability.
Charmed Ceph for best economics in the datacenter
Using Juju as our application model-driven operations tool, it is possible to manage the entire lifecycle of the configuration, management, operation and deployment process of a Ceph cluster. Ceph charms simplify both installation automation as well as day-2 operations orchestration such as upgrades and OSD maintenance operations while remaining interoperable with other configuration management recipes previously created.
- Highly scalable from terabytes to exabytes
- Highly reliable with no single point of failure in the cluster
- Fault-tolerant through data distribution and replication
- Highly secure through client authentication
- Compatible with Amazon S3 and OpenStack Swift APIs
- Low CAPEX by using commodity hardware
- Low OPEX through failure detection, self-management and self-healing
- Configurable and optimisable for cost and performance
Encryption at rest with Openstack
Charmed OpenStack allows for encryption at rest to be configured through our Ceph charms which provide data encryption and integrity assurance for Ceph OSDs. As Ubuntu supports volume encryption out of the box, mounting Cinder volumes into an instance and encrypting them is also fully supported. OpenStack Barbican can be used to store keys.
Our architecture around Ceph has been developed after extensive testing and production experience and utilises nearline SAS or SATA drives as bulk storage to drive lower storage costs with NVME flash as a cache device to maintain performance levels.
Getting started with Ceph on Ubuntu
Ceph support on Ubuntu
- Ceph support is included in Ubuntu Advantage for Infrastructure
- Simple and predictable pricing model
- Up to 48 TB of raw storage included per node
- Best pricing in the industry for clusters exceeding this allowance
- Get access to the storage experts 24x7 or on business hours
- Alternatively, get extended security maintenance if all you need is peace of mind by consuming security patches from the world’s leading security team
- Deploy complex Ceph clusters in minutes
- Upgrade the storage to newer software versions
- Provide model-driven orchestration for repeatability and predictability
- Configure the nodes consistently across various node types
- Replace failing disk drives and retire old hardware
- Expand the capacity of your storage cluster
- Fully managed storage cluster, on your servers, at your location
- Built in weeks using a proven reference architecture
- Customise the architecture in iterations based on your storage needs
- Your team has access to all machines at all times
- Modern monitoring and log management
- We will hand over the keys when you are ready