In this short guide to Kubernetes operators, you will learn about the software operator pattern. The guide explores what the operator pattern is and why it has become increasingly popular with modern operations teams.
Put simply, the operator pattern encapsulates the knowledge, wisdom and expertise of a real-world operations team, and codifies it into a computer program that helps to operate complex server applications like databases, messaging systems and web applications.
You will learn:
- What a software operator does
- Why use operators
- Building custom operators versus off-the-shelf operators
- What to watch out for when evaluating operators
- Operator maturity indicators
- An overview of contemporary operator frameworks