This newsletter is to provide a status update from the Ubuntu Foundations Team. There will also be highlights provided for any interesting subjects the team may be working on.
If you would like to reach the Foundations team, you can find us at the #ubuntu-devel channel on freenode.
- Python 3.6 transition update – https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2017-June/039826.html
- Netplan by default in Artful – https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2017-June/001215.html
- Work is underway to resolve an issue, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apport/+bug/1692127, where the duplicate signature for apport-package reports is too short and missing important information. This has been fixed in Artful, and SRUs are in progress for affected stable releases. Additionally, a bug bot is fixing duplicate signatures of all new bug reports with a short duplicate signature.
- The shim-signed package has been updated to improve the experience for users of dkms modules on upgrade: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/shim-signed/1.30 There is also work in progress to make self-signing custom kernels and DKMS modules easily.
- Release images published for cloud-images across all supported releases to address CVE-2017-1000364 “Stack Clash”
The State of the Archive
- Python3-defaults has migrated to artful with support for python 3.6; see above for more information about the status of this transition
- With the Debian unstable floodgates open now following the Debian stretch release, a ghc transition is in progress; with luck this will complete over the weekend
- KDEPIM 16.12 packages are unblocked in artful-proposed, expected to land in artful soon
Upcoming Ubuntu Dates
16.10 EoL in July 2017
16.04.3 point release is scheduled for August 3, 2017
Ubuntu offers all the training, software infrastructure, tools, services and support you need for your public and private clouds.