Canonical is pleased to share that our latest Ubuntu Accessibility Conformance Report, International Edition is now available for download. Based on VPAT Version 2.4, This report covers Ubuntu Desktop Accessibility, with a focus on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Desktop and Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Desktop.
Ubuntu’s mission has always been to bring the benefits of free software to the widest possible audience. Making linux accessible for people of all ages, languages and physical abilities is at the heart of that story and our community.
What is a VPAT?
“A Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT™) is a document that explains how information and communication technology (ICT) products such as software, hardware, electronic content, and support documentation meet (conform to) the Revised 508 Standards for IT accessibility. VPAT™ helps Federal agency contracting officials and government buyers to assess ICT for accessibility when doing market research and evaluating proposals.”Section508.gov
By demonstrating that Ubuntu Desktop conforms to these standards, we are ensuring that our software provides access for people with physical, sensory or cognitive disabilities. In this report, Ubuntu Desktop achieved Level AA conformance under the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines. It also conforms to the ICT Accessibility 508 Standards and 255 Guidelines.
Ubuntu for the Public Sector
In addition to delivering VPAT conformance, Ubuntu is a secure, certified and supported open source solution for the public sector.
Using Ubuntu Advantage, organisations benefit from:
- Security patching for key open source packages across either applications or infrastructure.
- Up to 10 years of support for Ubuntu LTS releases.
- Enterprise-grade security and auditing via ESM, Livepatch and Landscape.
- FIPS 140-2 certified modules, CIS hardening and Common Criteria EAL2 certification available.
- 24/7 phone support.
- Images optimised for the cloud.
- 10 years of security updates covering important open source applications like Apache Kafka, MongoDB and PostgreSQL.
- FIPS & CC-EAL2 certified components to enable operating environments under compliance regimes like FedRAMP, HIPAA, PCI and ISO.
- Kernel Livepatch to stay up to date with less downtime.
- Optional 24/7 support.
Learn how the Ubuntu desktop operating system powers millions of PCs and laptops around the world.