Ubuntu on Google Cloud
With an optimised Ubuntu GCP kernel built in collaboration between Google and Canonical to deliver the very best performance on the Google Cloud hypervisor, Ubuntu is a popular Linux OS on GCP for virtual machine and container workloads.
Today, Ubuntu powers more mission-critical cloud workloads than any other operating system.Talk to us about Ubuntu on Google Cloud
Choose the right Ubuntu for you
Select between the standard Ubuntu Server and the Pro edition, which includes expanded security, compliance and GCP integration:
Free to use
- GCP-optimised kernel and userspace components built from the latest releases
- Broad set of open source application components available for development
- Security patches for the kernel and key infrastructure components
- Updates mirrored and images published in all GCP regions worldwide
- 5-year lifetime
Run Ubuntu 20.04 LTS: Standard
Ubuntu Pro for Google Cloud
3-4.5% of an average instance cost
- Includes all Ubuntu optimisations and updates of the free version
- Expanded security covering 28,000 additional application components delivered with Ubuntu
- Kernel live patching for instant security and longer uptimes
- FIPS 140-2 and CC-EAL certified components
- Integration with GCP security and compliance features
- 10-year lifetime
Ubuntu on GCP runs on an GCP-optimised kernel, which includes improved device drivers, and out of the box support for accelerators like GPUs. This means faster instance starts and better runtime performance for your workloads.
Security built in
Our security teams track alerts 24x7 and release patches to system components and applications continuously. Canonical operates a worldwide distribution network ensuring that package updates are delivered in-region quickly. Canonical also works with Google to provide the latest Confidential Computing technology in Cloud.
All the bits you need
Ubuntu includes everything you need out of the box to build and operate cloud-native applications at scale. Supporting runtimes like Python, Node.js and Go, and server components like Apache Kafka, NGINX, MongoDB, Redis and PostgreSQL.
Get Ubuntu Pro on GCP
Optimise your cloud journey with Canonical
Canonical works with the top enterprises and innovators in the world to define and execute their cloud journeys. Migration, application redesign, support and optimisation services are some of the ways in which we have helped customers make the most of Ubuntu and GCP together.