USN-6168-2: libx11 vulnerability
20 June 2023
libx11 could be made to crash if it received specially crafted network traffic.
- libx11 - X11 client-side library
USN-6168-1 fixed a vulnerability in libx11. This update provides
the corresponding update for Ubuntu 14.04 ESM, Ubuntu 16.04 ESM,
and Ubuntu 18.04 ESM.
Original advisory details:
Gregory James Duck discovered that libx11 incorrectly handled certain
Request, Event, or Error IDs. If a user were tricked into connecting to a
malicious X Server, a remote attacker could possibly use this issue to
cause libx11 to crash, resulting in a denial of service.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- libx11-6 - 2:1.6.4-3ubuntu0.4+esm1
- libx11-6 - 2:1.6.3-1ubuntu2.2+esm2
- libx11-6 - 2:1.6.2-1ubuntu2.1+esm3
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make all
the necessary changes.
- USN-6168-1: libx11-dev, libx11-6, libx11-doc, libx11-xcb1, libx11, libx11-xcb-dev, libx11-data