USN-3498-1: curl vulnerabilities
29 November 2017
Several security issues were fixed in curl.
- curl - HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP client and client libraries
Alex Nichols discovered that curl incorrectly handled NTLM authentication
credentials. A remote attacker could use this issue to cause curl to crash,
resulting in a denial of service, or possibly execute arbitrary code. This
issue only affected Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Ubuntu 17.04 and Ubuntu 17.10.
It was discovered that curl incorrectly handled FTP wildcard matching. A
remote attacker could use this issue to cause curl to crash, resulting in a
denial of service, or possibly obtain sensitive information.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- curl - 7.55.1-1ubuntu2.2
- libcurl3 - 7.55.1-1ubuntu2.2
- libcurl3-gnutls - 7.55.1-1ubuntu2.2
- libcurl3-nss - 7.55.1-1ubuntu2.2
- curl - 7.52.1-4ubuntu1.4
- libcurl3 - 7.52.1-4ubuntu1.4
- libcurl3-gnutls - 7.52.1-4ubuntu1.4
- libcurl3-nss - 7.52.1-4ubuntu1.4
- curl - 7.47.0-1ubuntu2.5
- libcurl3 - 7.47.0-1ubuntu2.5
- libcurl3-gnutls - 7.47.0-1ubuntu2.5
- libcurl3-nss - 7.47.0-1ubuntu2.5
- curl - 7.35.0-1ubuntu2.13
- libcurl3 - 7.35.0-1ubuntu2.13
- libcurl3-gnutls - 7.35.0-1ubuntu2.13
- libcurl3-nss - 7.35.0-1ubuntu2.13
In general, a standard system update will make all the necessary changes.