HighlightsI've been refactoring bits of code and fixing bugs aplenty, so there is a mass of noise in the git commits. In terms of new function, the news is that we now have:
- Type switches.
- Type assertions.
- Labeled statements; goto, labeled break and continue.
- The llgo-dist command; more on this below.
- String conversions: to/from byte slices; from rune/int.
- String range. I'm sure the implementation could be improved.
- Implemented sync/atomic using LLVM atomic operations intrinsics.
- Various changes to enable linking multiple packages (e.g. exported symbols are now prefixed with their package path).
- Additional support for floats (thanks to spate); partial support for complex numbers.
- "...args" calls to variadic functions (including slice append).
- A self-contained runtime package. I have cloned (and slightly modified in some cases) the Go portion of the runtime package from gc, and combined it with the runtime code I had already written for llgo.
- Bridge code for the math package, which mostly just redirects the exported functions to the internal, pure-Go implementations.
- System calls (Linux/AMD64 only so far).
- Closures; more below.
reflect, fmt, oh my!
Last week, I mentioned on Google+ that I managed to get the reflect package working. At least enough of it to get the fmt package to work. At least enough of the fmt package to get fmt.Println("Hello, world!") to work... Yep, the holy grail of programming examples now compiles, links, and runs, using llgo. This demonstrates the following things work:
- Compilation of the following packages: errors, io, math, os, reflect, runtime, strconv, sync, sync/atomic, syscall, time, unicode/utf8, unsafe.
- Package imports (still using the gcimporter from exp/types.)
- Linking multiple compiled packages using llvm-link.
- Interfaces and reflection (fmt.Println uses reflection to determine the underlying type).
- System calls (fmt.Println will eventually issue a system call to write to the stdout file).
ClosuresYes indeed, we now have closures. The code is pretty hackish, so I expect it's not very solid. I have implemented them using LLVM's trampoline intrinsics. Essentially you provide LLVM with a function that takes N parameters, give it a block of (executable) memory and an argument to bind, and it fills in the block with function code for a function with N-1 parameters (the Nth one being bound).
Unfortunately I have found that the closures are not playing nicely with lli/JIT, which means the closure unit test I have written fails. If I compile it with llc/gcc, though, it works just fine. So either I've done something subtly stupid, or the JIT is clobbering something it shouldn't. As far as I got with debugging was finding that the bound argument value is wrong when the function is entered.
I expect I'll probably replace this implementation for a couple of reasons:
- Portability: I'd rather avoid platform-specific code like this. For one thing, the PNaCl ABI calls out trampoline intrinsics as being unsupported.
- Testability: I should investigate the problems I observed with lli/JIT further, and I'm loath to change implementation to support tests, it is a real problem. I rely heavily on tests to make sure I haven't broken anything.
In the early 2010s, Apache Hadoop captured the imagination of the tech community. A free and powerful open source platform, it gave users a way to process...
Learn about Confidential AI preview on Azure with Ubuntu confidental VMs and Nvidia H100 GPUs, and explore how confidential computing in the cloud transforms...
Edge AI is transforming the way that devices interact with data centres, challenging organisations to stay up to speed with the latest innovations. From...