Last week marked our first “paper jam” for the Lucid cycle, during which the Ubuntu community identified ten potential paper cuts affecting Empathy to fix in Ubuntu 10.04. These paper cuts include:
- Open (but do not raise) new conversation windows automatically
- “Automatically connect on startup” setting confusing – users may expect this to run Empathy on login
- Inconsistent Naming of “Invisible” status in indicator applet and Empathy
- some protocol icons in create account dropdown menu are missing
- The microphone and webcam icons displayed in the buddy list need improvement
- Invisible accounts button is difficult to discover, arguably not useful, and an apparent interface glitch
- Empathy could use an Ubuntu-specific Adium theme*
- Edit Custom Messages window is too narrow
- Contact List is sometimes not shown when Empathy is launched
- Ctrl-Tab should jump to the next tab
If any of these paper cuts catch your eye, please take any you’d like to help triage, fix, integrate, test, or merge and get to work! Ubuntu (and Empathy) users everywhere will love you.
* Torrey Rice, author of the popular “Renkoo” Adium theme has agreed to get involved with Ubuntu development for the first time by updating Renkoo and ensuring that it works well with Empathy. Three cheers for Torrey!