Welcome to our September edition. This month, We begin with Canonical introducing enterprise support for its own distribution of Kubernetes across public clouds and private infrastructure. Next up we give you a preview of what you can expect from us in Barcelona at the OpenStack Summit. We have details of our expanding partnership with IBM announcing that Ubuntu OpenStack is the only commercial solution available across all IBM platforms. We also announced another partnership with a big data provider, BigStep. If you couldn’t make it to the Juju Charmer Summit then you can catch up on all of the sessions by visiting our Juju YouTube channel. And finally, don’t miss out on our round up of industry news.
Canonical expands container portfolio with supported distribution of Kubernetes
Canonical this week launched its own distribution of Kubernetes, with enterprise support, across a range of public clouds and private infrastructure. The Canonical Distribution of Kubernetes enables enterprise customers to operate and scale Kubernetes clusters on demand, anywhere. Leveraging Canonical’s existing Juju Charm eco-system, the Canonical Distribution of Kubernetes adds extensive operational and support tooling but is otherwise a perfectly standard Kubernetes experience, tracking upstream releases closely.
Visit our new Juju container topic page for more container solutions.
Join us in Barcelona at the OpenStack Summit
We’ll be in Barcelona, from the 25th – 28th October, for the OpenStack Summit – where we are planning a host of activities from interesting booth demos, our own dedicated sponsor track day, a selection of charm schools and more. Read the blog.
To schedule some time with the Canonical Executive Team to discuss some of the advances in Ubuntu OpenStack and how they could change your business, book a meeting for Barcelona.
To register to attend a Juju charm school (interactive hands-on training), select your preferred date:
In other news
Ubuntu OpenStack is available on all IBM Servers
Canonical announced that Ubuntu OpenStack is available for IBM z Systems®, IBM LinuxONE™ and IBM Power Systems™ including IBM’s newly announced OpenPOWER LC servers as it expands its work to deliver hybrid cloud capabilities with IBM. Learn more.
Big Data Gets Super-Fast with Ubuntu on Bigstep Metal Cloud
Bigstep, the big data cloud provider, and Canonical announced their partnership to provide certified images and support of Ubuntu on Bigstep Metal Cloud. Learn more.
Leostream join Charm partner programme
Leostream Corporation, a leading developer of hosted desktop connection management software, has joined the Charm partner programme to facilitate the deployment of virtual desktops on Ubuntu OpenStack. Read more.
Canonical’s Third Juju Charmer Summit
From September 12-14, the Juju Ecosystem team held the third (and biggest) Juju Charmer Summit yet in Pasadena, CA. It was three action-packed and exciting days of presentations, demonstrations, breakout sessions, and lightning talks that covered everything from the basics of Juju to containers and big software.
For those who couldn’t attend, we’ve uploaded all the sessions to the Juju YouTube channel.
Top blog posts from Insights
- [Tutorial] Deploying a Spark job using Juju!
- [Blog] Pentaho users explore the future of DevOps and Big Data with Juju
- [Blog] MAAS 2.0: High Availability API-driven bare metal provisioning
- [Tutorial] Monitoring “big software” stacks with the Elastic Stack
Industry news roundup
Ubuntu cloud in the news
- Ubuntu’s OpenStack on IBM’s Big Iron
- Ubuntu tees up OpenStack on IBM’s iron
- Canonical Jumps On The Container Management Bandwagon With A Commercial Kubernetes Offering
- Canonical integrates Ubuntu with open source container manager Kubernetes
- Canonical steps up enterprise courtship with Kubernetes bundle
- Big Software is the next, er, big thing
OpenStack & NFV
- Telco’s got talent? It’s audition time for SDN/NFV startups
- Cable gets real about virtualization
- Featured speakers announced for OpenStack summit in Barcelona
- For CSP’s, IOT, NFV and SDN is an era of growing opportunity and risks
- OpenDaylight introduces “Boron” SDN release
Containers & Storage
Big data & Machine Learning & Deep Learning
- Machine brains start learning unsupervised: Elastic acquires Prelert
- Three barriers to Machine Learning adoption
- Etsy buys Blackbird Technologies to bring AI to its search
- Webroot snaps up machine learning analytics firm Cyberflow
- When machine learning redefines your job, you’re going to like it
- If you’d like to discuss any of these stories with a Canonical expert don’t hesitate to contact us.
Financial institutions are increasingly pressed for agility and velocity to adapt to changing market conditions, increased customer expectations while satisfying regulatory and compliance requirements.