USN-6434-1: PMIx vulnerability
17 October 2023
PMIx could be made to overwrite files.
- pmix - Development files for the PMI library (OpenMPI )
Francois Diakhate discovered that PMIx did not properly handle race
conditions in the pmix library, which could lead to unwanted privilege
escalation. An attacker could possibly use this issue to obtain ownership
of an arbitrary file on the filesystem, under the default configuration
of the application.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- libpmi1-pmix - 3.1.5-1ubuntu0.1~esm1
- libpmi2-pmix - 3.1.5-1ubuntu0.1~esm1
- libpmix2 - 3.1.5-1ubuntu0.1~esm1
- libpmi1-pmix - 2.1.1~rc1-1ubuntu0.1~esm1
- libpmi2-pmix - 2.1.1~rc1-1ubuntu0.1~esm1
- libpmix2 - 2.1.1~rc1-1ubuntu0.1~esm1
In general, a standard system update will make all the necessary changes.