USN-5355-2: zlib vulnerability
30 March 2022
zlib could be made to crash or run programs if it received specially crafted input.
- zlib - compression library - 32 bit runtime
USN-5355-1 fixed a vulnerability in zlib. This update provides
the corresponding update for Ubuntu 14.04 ESM and Ubuntu 16.04 ESM.
Original advisory details:
Danilo Ramos discovered that zlib incorrectly handled memory when
performing certain deflating operations. An attacker could use this issue
to cause zlib to crash, resulting in a denial of service, or possibly
execute arbitrary code.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- lib64z1 - 1:1.2.8.dfsg-2ubuntu4.3+esm1
- libx32z1 - 1:1.2.8.dfsg-2ubuntu4.3+esm1
- lib32z1 - 1:1.2.8.dfsg-2ubuntu4.3+esm1
- zlib1g - 1:1.2.8.dfsg-2ubuntu4.3+esm1
- lib64z1 - 1:1.2.8.dfsg-1ubuntu1.1+esm1
- libx32z1 - 1:1.2.8.dfsg-1ubuntu1.1+esm1
- lib32z1 - 1:1.2.8.dfsg-1ubuntu1.1+esm1
- zlib1g - 1:1.2.8.dfsg-1ubuntu1.1+esm1
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make
all the necessary changes.