This week has been pretty quiet as far as upstream changes since half the team was attending the Open Source Summity, the Linux Plumbers Conference and the Linux Security Summit in Los Angeles, California.
We got to talk with other container runtime maintainers, kernel developers and users, having a lot of very productive discussions that should lead to a number of exciting features going forward.
Outside of that, we’ve been focusing on tweaks to the LXD snap, having it work on more platforms and better handle module loading. LXD 2.18 will work properly for Solus 3 users and we’re almost ready with Fedora 26, OpenSUSE 42.3 and OpenSUSE Tumbleweed too.
LXD 2.18 is scheduled to be released tomorrow (Tuesday 19th of September).
Upcoming conferences and events
- Open Source Summit Europe (Prague, October 2017)
- Linux Piter 2017 (St. Petersburg – November 2017)
The list below is feature or refactoring work which will span several weeks/months and can’t be tied directly to a single Github issue or pull request.
- External authentication support for LXD servers
- Preparation for LXD 2.18.
- LXD documentation improvement.
- Stable release work for LXC, LXCFS and LXD.
The items listed below are highlights of the work which happened upstream over the past week and which will be included in the next release.
- Fixed “lxc image import” crash when setting extra properties.
- Made the “ipt_checksum” module optional.
- Fixed a typo in the documentation.
- Moved environment variable setup earlier in initialization.
- Tweaked environment variables in hooks.
This section is used to track the work done in downstream Linux distributions to ship the latest LXC, LXD and LXCFS as well as work to get various software to work properly inside containers.
- Nothing to report this week
- Call “modprobe” outside of the snap environment when module loading is needed.
- Added support for Solus 3 to our CI environment.
Ubuntu offers all the training, software infrastructure, tools, services and support you need for your public and private clouds.