USN-4971-2: libwebp vulnerabilities
10 June 2021
libwebp could be made to crash or run programs as your login if it opened a specially crafted file.
- libwebp - Lossy compression of digital photographic images.
USN-4971-1 fixed several vulnerabilities in libwebp. This update provides
the corresponding update for Ubuntu 14.04 ESM and Ubuntu 16.04 ESM.
Original advisory details:
It was discovered that libwebp incorrectly handled certain malformed
images. If a user or automated system were tricked into opening a specially
crafted image file, a remote attacker could use this issue to cause libwebp
to crash, resulting in a denial of service, or possibly execute arbitrary
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- libwebp5 - 0.4.4-1ubuntu0.1~esm1
- libwebpdemux1 - 0.4.4-1ubuntu0.1~esm1
- libwebpmux1 - 0.4.4-1ubuntu0.1~esm1
- libwebp5 - 0.4.0-4ubuntu0.1~esm1
- libwebpdemux1 - 0.4.0-4ubuntu0.1~esm1
- libwebpmux1 - 0.4.0-4ubuntu0.1~esm1
In general, a standard system update will make all the necessary changes.
- USN-4971-1: webp, libwebp6, libwebpdemux2, libwebp, libwebp-dev, libwebpmux3