We are excited to announce today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company and a world-leading IaaS provider, is now an Ubuntu Certified Public Cloud partner for Ubuntu guest images. For users, this means you can now harness the value of the best Ubuntu user experience, optimized for SoftLayer bare metal and virtual servers:
- Ubuntu cloud guest image updates with enablement, publication, development, and maintenance across all availability zones.
- All the latest Ubuntu features, compliance accreditations, and security updates.
- Quality assurance: one of the highest-quality Ubuntu experiences, including some of the fastest security patching of any Linux provider.
- Archive mirrors for faster updates retrieval.
- The opportunity to engage with Canonical for enterprise-grade support on Ubuntu images, and use Landscape, Canonical’s award-winning system monitoring tool.
Server Density, a London-based server monitoring startup, has been using Ubuntu on Softlayer for three years. We spoke to Pedro Pessoa, Head of Operations, who said, “we moved to Softlayer three years ago, looking for bare metal servers with a great provisioning API and the option of adding virtualization for specific workloads. Now, with official Ubuntu images on Softlayer, we look forward to an even more consistent experience across both machine types, optimized performance, frequent updates, timely security patches, and the option of purchasing enterprise-grade support”.
This latest announcement nicely complements our recent work and broad partnership with IBM across platforms such as LinuxOne, Power and Z Systems. Canonical builds, continually maintains, tests, and updates certified Ubuntu images, making the latest versions available through Softlayer within minutes of their official release by Canonical. This means that you will always have the latest, more up to date, and most secure version of Certified Ubuntu images.
Get started Ubuntu 16.04 on SoftLayer.