USN-5079-4: curl regression
21 September 2021
USN-5079-2 introduced a regression in curl.
- curl - HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP client and client libraries
USN-5079-2 fixed vulnerabilities in curl. One of the fixes introduced a
regression. This update fixes the problem.
Original advisory details:
Patrick Monnerat discovered that curl incorrectly handled upgrades to TLS.
When receiving certain responses from servers, curl would continue without
TLS even when the option to require a successful upgrade to TLS was
Patrick Monnerat discovered that curl incorrectly handled responses
received before STARTTLS. A remote attacker could possibly use this issue
to inject responses and intercept communications. (CVE-2021-22947)
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- libcurl3-gnutls - 7.47.0-1ubuntu2.19+esm2
- libcurl3-nss - 7.47.0-1ubuntu2.19+esm2
- libcurl3 - 7.47.0-1ubuntu2.19+esm2
- curl - 7.47.0-1ubuntu2.19+esm2
- libcurl3-gnutls - 7.35.0-1ubuntu2.20+esm9
- libcurl3-nss - 7.35.0-1ubuntu2.20+esm9
- libcurl3 - 7.35.0-1ubuntu2.20+esm9
- curl - 7.35.0-1ubuntu2.20+esm9
In general, a standard system update will make all the necessary changes.