USN-5079-2: curl vulnerabilities
15 September 2021
Several security issues were fixed in curl.
- curl - HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP client and client libraries
USN-5079-1 fixed several vulnerabilities in curl. This update provides
the corresponding update for Ubuntu 14.04 ESM and Ubuntu 16.04 ESM.
Original advisory details:
Patrick Monnerat discovered that curl incorrectly handled upgrades to TLS.
When receiving certain responses from servers, curl would continue without
TLS even when the option to require a successful upgrade to TLS was
Patrick Monnerat discovered that curl incorrectly handled responses
received before STARTTLS. A remote attacker could possibly use this issue
to inject responses and intercept communications. (CVE-2021-22947)
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- libcurl3-gnutls - 7.47.0-1ubuntu2.19+esm1
- libcurl3-nss - 7.47.0-1ubuntu2.19+esm1
- libcurl3 - 7.47.0-1ubuntu2.19+esm1
- curl - 7.47.0-1ubuntu2.19+esm1
- libcurl3-gnutls - 7.35.0-1ubuntu2.20+esm8
- libcurl3-nss - 7.35.0-1ubuntu2.20+esm8
- libcurl3 - 7.35.0-1ubuntu2.20+esm8
- curl - 7.35.0-1ubuntu2.20+esm8
In general, a standard system update will make all the necessary changes.
- USN-5079-1: libcurl4-openssl-dev, libcurl4, libcurl4-gnutls-dev, libcurl4-doc, curl, libcurl4-nss-dev, libcurl3-gnutls, libcurl3-nss