What you’ll learn
In this tutorial we will create a snap of a HTML5/Electron application to act as the graphical user interface for an IoT or kiosk device. For the introduction to this tutorial series and the Mir display server, please visit here.
This tutorial assumes you are familiar with the material in Make an X11-based Kiosk Snap.
What you’ll need
- An Ubuntu desktop running any current release of Ubuntu or an Ubuntu Virtual Machine on another OS.
- A ‘Target Device’ from one of the following:
A device running Ubuntu Core 18.
This guide shows you how to set up a supported device. If there’s no supported image that fits your needs you can create your own core image.
- Using a Virtual Machine (VM) You don’t need to have a physical “Target Device”, you can follow the tutorial with Ubuntu Core in a VM. This guide shows you how to set up an Ubuntu Core VM.
- Using Ubuntu Classic You don’t have to use Ubuntu Core, you can use also a “Target Device” with Ubuntu Classic. Read this guide to understand how to run kiosk snaps on your desktop, as the particular details won’t be repeated here.
- A device running Ubuntu Core 18.
Originally authored by Gerry Boland