In this tutorial, we walk you through the process of installing Ubuntu on the RISC-V-based SiFive HiFive Unleashed and Unmatched boards.
The HiFive Unmatched is the first true RISC-V PC. With a 4-core CPU, 16 GiB of RAM, Gigabit Ethernet, four USB 3.0 ports, a mini-ITX form factor, and expansion capabilities for PCIe and NVMe, we can finally have a RISC-V computer as a daily driver.
The HiFive Unleashed is a discontinued RISC-V developer platform. It was the first RISC-V platform allowing to run Linux. It provides a quad-core CPU, 8 GiB of RAM and Gigabit Ethernet. Microsemi supplied an FPGA based expansion board HFU540-EXP which added PCI support.
What you’ll learn
- How to install Ubuntu on the HiFive boards (Unmatched and Unleashed)
- How to configure the Unmatched to boot from an NVMe drive
- How to set up a basic desktop environment
What you’ll need
- A HiFive Unmatched or Unleashed board
- A micro SD card
- A power supply with a 24-pin connector
- A GPU (if planning to run a graphical interface)
- An M.2 NVMe SSD (if planning to use one, highly recommended)
- An M.2 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth adapter if desired