Ubuntu is all your robot needs
We provide you with the essential infrastructure to easily, securely, and reliably deploy your robots
Our open source tools help you:
- Keep your robots up-to-date efficiently and cost-effectively with over-the-air and low bandwidth updates that include failure rollback.
- Comply with cybersecurity requirements with built-in security tools and security maintenance.
- Reduce engineer intervention and operational costs for software maintenance.
- Accelerate software development, including unparalleled flexibility in development, device driver and cloud services.
- Improve the user experience in robotics with increased stability, security, and reduced downtime.
Building the future with
Deploying a robotics solution?
For more than a decade, Ubuntu has provided the best development environment for robotics developers. Your team can easily build and securely deploy their devices with Ubuntu Core, an operating system optimised for IoT and edge devices, and Snaps, fully-confined embedded containers. For low-tech device management, the IoT Snap Store enables developers to unlock a reliable and widely-used update infrastructure that's ideal for robotics applications.
Ubuntu is an open-source operating system. For more than a decade, Ubuntu has supported key robotics open-source projects, such as ROS, PX4, Autoware, Open-CV, PCL, and more.
Every aspect of the development process benefits from Ubuntu's responsiveness, ease of use, regular software updates, lightweight nature, and a high degree of security.
Snapcraft is the command-line tool for packaging your software as a Snap. Snaps are containerised software packages designed for embedded applications, with increased performance compared to other technologies. Snaps give you all the interfaces you need to bundle your dependencies in one package, while providing secure interfaces to access the host disc and privileged resources.
IoT App Store
Canonical's IoT App Store enables developers to host and manage software updates for their devices. It provides a trusted update infrastructure, including reliable over-the-air updates, secure authentication, CI/CD integration, and more.
Companies can create either a public or private marketplace, where applications can be managed by developers and contributors.
Ubuntu Core is an optimised version of Ubuntu for edge devices. It brings a reliable software management infrastructure, including independent, transactional, and delta updates for the OS, kernel, and applications. It provides advanced security features, such as secure boot and strict confinement.
Ubuntu Core uses the same kernel, libraries, and system software as classic Ubuntu, resulting in a smooth transition to production.
Robotics software updates
Unlock a reliable infrastructure for compressed, transactional, signed, and secure updates
With Ubuntu Core and the Snap store, full containerisation means:
- Transactional, over-the-air updates
- Data snapshot backup and restore
- Signed software integrity
- Compressed delta updates