Ubuntu Desktop for developers
Whether you're an app or web developer, engineering manager, data scientist, or AI/ML researcher — Ubuntu is your ideal workstation.
Why choose Ubuntu for Desktop?
The developers' choice
- Using Ubuntu Desktop provides a common platform for development, test, and production environments.
- Tools, such as Juju, Microk8s, and Multipass make developing, testing, and cross-building easy and affordable.
- Long term support (LTS) releases are delivered every 2-years, with 5 years of standard support extended to 10 years with an Ubuntu Pro Desktop subscription.
- New Developer editions of Ubuntu Desktop are released every 6-months, with 9-months of support and access to the latest kernel, libraries, and new upstream OS features.
|Released||End of Standard Support||End of Life|
|10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx)||Apr 2010||Apr 2015|
|12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin)||Apr 2012||Apr 2017||Apr 2019|
|14.04 LTS (Trusty Tahr)||Apr 2014||Apr 2019||Apr 2024|
|16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus)||Apr 2016||Apr 2021||Apr 2026|
|18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver)||Apr 2018||Apr 2023||Apr 2028|
|20.04 LTS (Focal Fossa)||Apr 2020||Apr 2025||Apr 2030|
|20.10 (Groovy Gorilla)||Oct 2020||Jul 2021|
|21.04 (Hirsute Hippo)||Apr 2021||Jan 2022|
|21.10 (Impish Indri)||Oct 2021||Jul 2022|
|22.04 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)||Apr 2022||Apr 2027||Apr 2032|
|22.10 (Kinetic Kudu)||Apr 2022||Jul 2023|
Access to cutting-edge hardware and software
- Ubuntu ships with the latest toolchains for Python, Rust, Ruby, Go, PHP and Perl, and users get first access to the latest updates for key libraries and packages.
- Ubuntu is the OS of choice for data science and machine learning, with support for popular frameworks like OpenCV, TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch and Kubeflow.
- Ubuntu is the target platform for the NVIDIA data science stack, which enables GPU accelerated data science workloads to be run locally before deploying to the cloud.
A rich ecosystem
- With a Snap Store of over 7,000 applications in addition to the Ubuntu repository, it's easy to tailor Ubuntu desktop to your needs.
- Development tools include Visual Studio Code, IntelliJ, GitKraken, Unity and Blender.
- Office productivity tools include Slack, Microsoft Teams, Dropbox, and Zoom as well as the Microsoft-compatible LibreOffice.
- Media, gaming, and content creation apps include Spotify, Steam, Discord and OBS Studio.
- Streamline deployment of Ubuntu Desktop with certified hardware from OEMs including Dell, Lenovo, and HP — no additional configuration required.
- Ubuntu performs out of the box across a wide range of laptops, desktops, and workstations, including the HP Z series and Dell XPS and Precision lines.
- Strategic partnerships extend to component manufacturers and Ubuntu is certified to work with the full range of NVIDIA GPUs.
What's new in Ubuntu 22.10
- Linux 5.19 kernel
- GNOME 43 desktop environment
- New quick settings interface
- New spread effect for multitasking
- Dynamic UI for the file manager
- Pipewire as the default audio system delivering improve bluetooth performance
- Up-to-date toolchains, including Python 3.10, PHP 8.1, Ruby 3.1, Perl 5.34, Go 1.19, GCC 12.2, Rust 1.61
- Core productivity apps LibreOffice 7.4, Thunderbird 102, and Firefox 105
- Multi-threaded CPU squashfs decompression for faster Snap startup
What's new in Ubuntu 22.04
- Linux 5.15 kernel
- New Ubuntu theme with accent colors, improved integration for snaps and system-wide dark style preference support
- GNOME Shell and most GNOME libraries updated to the 42 release
- Streamlined user interface and workspace transitions
- Compact and modern on-screen display notifications
- New screenshot/screen recording interface
- New power profile selection
- Improved multi-monitor support
- GNOME desktop performance improvements
- Up to 2x improvement in frame rates with Intel and Raspberry Pi graphics drivers
- Significant improvements for AMD and NVIDIA
- Wayland as the default display server for most systems whilst X11 remains the default for those with an NVIDIA discrete GPU
- Latest PulseAudio support for LDAC and AptX bluetooth codecs, HFP bluetooth profiles and bluetooth device battery level reporting
- Up-to-date toolchains, including Python 3.10, PHP 8.1, Ruby 3.0, Perl 5.34, Go 1.18, GCC 11.2, Rust 1.58.1
- Core productivity apps LibreOffice 7.3.2, Thunderbird 91.8, and Firefox 99 which is now included as a snap
- Active Directory integration with the Ubuntu installer
- Policy-based administration using Microsoft Active Directory Group Policy (GPO) and advanced policy support for Ubuntu Pro Desktop users
- Raspberry Pi 4 2GB Desktop support as a result of various performance improvements
- Better power management for NVIDIA dGPUs
- Wifi 6E support
Developers love Ubuntu, organisations trust it
Secure enterprise management with Ubuntu Pro Desktop
Ubuntu Pro Desktop is a comprehensive subscription delivering enterprise-grade security, management tooling, and extended support for developers and organisations.
- Security updates for the full open source stack (beta)
- Advanced Active Directory and LDAP integration
- Estate monitoring and management
- FIPS 140-2 certified modules and CIS hardening
- Minimise rolling reboots with Kernel Livepatch
- Optional weekday or 24x7 support tiers
Free for personal use on up to five machines
Secure your open source stack with a personal Ubuntu Pro license and get beta access security patching for over 23,000 packages in the Ubuntu Universe repository.
Get started today
Download and install
Download Ubuntu Desktop and replace your current operating system. It's easy to install on Windows or macOS, or run Ubuntu alongside it.
Buy it pre-installed
Ubuntu is available on a huge range of devices from the world's largest hardware manufacturers including Dell, HP, and Lenovo.